International Students



Digital Film Academy

DFA is approved to issue I-20s to international students. We have locations in New York and Atlanta, and with our hybrid and fully online options you’ll be able to attend classes at either of our campuses or online anywhere in the world. 

This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant alien students.

Please take notice – visas take time to process. We strongly suggest that you contact Admissions at [email protected] after you apply to the school to start the process.

To obtain an I-20

First apply to the Digital Film Academy (either online or by mailing or faxing an application). International Students are required to pay $500 tuition deposit in order to receive the I-20 document. Once registered, we will process the I-20 application and send to you to take to the US Embassy or Consulate.

You will need to provide evidence that you or your family have a minimum of US$32,000 in funds available to pay for the entire cost of your tuition and living expenses. An interview at a US Embassy or Consulate is required to apply for a visa. It can take from a few days to a few months to get an interview, please contact the US Embassy in your country to determine how long it takes to get an interview and be granted a visa. If you’d like to check the expected processing time for an F-1 student visa in your country, click here and enter the name of your nearest city.

If you are currently in the US as a student on an M-1 or F-1 visa you can transfer your I-20 to Digital Film Academy’s film school. Also if you are currently in the US on a tourist or other visa, Digital Film Academy can assist you in submitting a change of status to F-1 for you to study at DFA. Please contact the International Office of Admissions for more information.

After your Studies

After you have studied for one year at Digital Film Academy, you can apply for CPT (Curricular Practical Training) or apply for OPT (Optional Practical Training). When you apply for OPT, once you receive permission it means you can stay on one more year in the USA without paying for any further tuition. You are free to work in the digital media industry and legally earn money in the USA as an international student. Since you will have free access to Digital Film Academy’s equipment, you can get the necessary work experience and build your professional portfolio. To find out how to apply for CPT or how to apply for OPT, contact Digital Film Academy’s Admissions Department.


International Office of Admissions
[email protected]

® GI Bill® Is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at